Otter Valley Funerals
Financial Support for Funeral Services

Financial Support for Funeral Services

A Funeral Expenses Payment from the Government can help pay for some of the costs of the following:

  • Burial fees for a particular plot
  • Cremation fees, including the cost of the doctor’s certificate
  • Travel to arrange or go to the funeral
  • The cost of moving your loved one within the UK, if they are being moved more than 50 miles
  • Death certificates or other documents

You can also get up to £1,000 for any other funeral expenses, such as the Funeral Director’s fees, flowers or the coffin.

The payment will not usually cover all of the costs of the funeral.

How much you get depends on your circumstances. This includes any other money that’s available to cover the costs, for example from an insurance policy or the deceased person’s estate.

A Funeral Expenses Payment is paid into your bank, building society or credit union account if you’ve already paid for the funeral.

The money will be paid directly to the organiser of the funeral (for example, the Funeral Director) if you have not paid yet.

Check the claim form notes for more information.

You can get a Funeral Expenses Payment if all of the following apply:

  • You get certain benefits or tax credits
  • You meet the rules on your relationship with your loved one
  • You’re arranging a funeral in the UK
  • You (or your partner) must get one or more of the following:
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • The disability or severe disability element of Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit

You must be one of the following:

  • The partner of the deceased when they died
  • A close relative or close friend of the deceased
  • The parent of a baby stillborn after 24 weeks of pregnancy
  • The parent or person responsible for a deceased child who was under 16 (or under 20 and in approved education or training)

You can make a claim by phone by calling the Bereavement Service helpline from Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm:

Telephone: 0800 151 2012
Welsh language: 0800 731 0453
Textphone: 0800 731 0464
Welsh language textphone: 0800 731 0456
Relay UK (if you cannot hear or speak on the phone): 18001 then 0800 151 2012

You can also claim by post. Download and fill in the claim form (SF200), then send it to the address on the form.

If you need any help or support with understanding whether you meet the eligibility criteria, or with making an application for the payment, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us on 01395 911118, by visiting either our Budleigh or Exmouth offices or by emailing